Armenian Knowledge Base  

Go Back   Armenian Knowledge Base > General Discussions > English Only > Comments
Register

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30.07.2008, 19:29   #1
Бакалавр

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default opinions

Sunday, July 27, 2008
WHO LOVES ARMENIANS?
Not even Armenians.
Am I saying something you don't know?
Is it conceivable to say anything to an Armenian that he doesn't already know?
There is no cure for stupidity and patriotism, surely, the most lethal combination in the history of mankind.
Whenever there is talk of literature and Armenians, I am reminded of the Turkish saying: “Eshek khoshavdan ne annar?” (freely translated: “What the hell does a jackass know about stewed raisins?”)
Called “Asshole” by a farmer, Chirac is said to have extended his hand and replied: “Pleased to meet you. My name is Chirac.”
Compare this story to what happened in a Yerevan nightclub when a probably tipsy Armenian greeted Kocharian in a too friendly manner: he was dragged out by Kocharian's bodyguards and beaten to death in the washroom.
In our Soviet phase, our commissars said, “If we can shoot them, by bother sending them to Siberia?” In the Diaspora today they say: “If we can silence or insult them, why bother saying we disagree with them.”
A house divided is not a home.
Next time someone tells you we need solutions, ask him: “If I give you one, what will you do with it?”
Never speak in the name of God or patriotism if you can speak in the name of common sense and decency.
The most widespread fallacy among Armenians, “Those in authority know better.”
A question an Armenian never asks: “What if I am wrong?”
#
Monday, July 28m 2008
DO I SPEAK THE TRUTH?
No, of course not.
Truth is God's territory, not ours.
We, poor mortals, can speak only of what we have experienced, seen, and understood, which means only a tiny fraction of reality, and tiny to the point of being almost invisible to the naked eye.
If we disagree, it may be because our experiences are different. I could never say I will ignore my own experiences and adopt yours.
If what you have experienced, seen, and understood is different from mine, so much the better. It is by assembling as many eyewitness accounts as we can that we may have an approximate version of our collective experience. But if you say only the positive should be accepted and the negative rejected, then the result is bound to be not an objective and balanced version of the story but one that is more akin to fiction and propaganda.
If you say, “Armenians are not as bad as you paint them,” then I am fully justified in saying “Neither are they as good as they claim to be.” After all, who in his right mind lends any credence to the self-assessment of a self-satisfied jackass or to the boasts of a megalomaniac?
One way to judge a nation is by the manner in which it treats its writers, which also means, ideas in general, and free speech, that is to say, human rights. To understand a nation, read the history of its literature.
Every Armenian pretends to be a better Armenian. As for the alienated and assimilated: they pretend to be better human beings, and who can blame them?
They tell me, as a writer I should inspire rather than denigrate. A writer? Me? No! I am only a witness among many. A witness who thinks we either seek wisdom or wallow in our ignorance. That may not be the truth. But neither is it a lie. Let us agree to call it an approximation.
#
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
OPINIONS
An opinion is just an opinion. It is not and it should not be treated like a paragraph in a belief-system.
To contradict an opinion with a belief system is like trying to kill a butterfly with a sledgehammer.
To me, our genocide is less about Turkish barbarism and more about Armenian weakness. To emphasize the first and ti ignore the second is to miss the point.
With some Armenians, patriotism is a word that allows them to either insult their fellow Armenians or to get their money.
There are times when writing for Armenians feels like engaging in mortal combat.
We ask for a solution to our problems, and when someone gives it to us, we ignore it. Case in point: In the 19th century Raffi said, “the Ottoman Empire is no place for Armenians.” Had we acted on his advice, there would have been no genocide. Whenever I mention this fact, outraged readers tell me: “Are you suggesting we should have abandoned our 'babenagan' (ancestral) homes and emigrated en masse? That's crazy!”
Well, was it sane being driven out forcefully into the desert and dying of thirst and starvation by the million?
Long before Raffi, Yeghishé (5th century AD) said: “Solidarity is the mother of good deeds, divisiveness of evil ones.”
You may now draw your own conclusions.
#
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
ARMENIANS AND ARMENIANS
I keep writing in the full knowledge that on the day I die I will look back and think it has all been a waste and that I could have been of more use to my fellow men had I been a plumber or carpenter.
Jesus was a carpenter. I wonder why more Christians are not encouraged to go into carpentry. An Armenian friend of mine, a born-again in his eighties, who knows the Bible inside out, is an amateur carpenter. He hates Turks not because they tried to exterminate us but because they didn't finish the job. Judging by the kind of e-mails I get and comments on Armenian discussion forums, this born-again friend of mine is not a rare case among us.
It is easy to sermonize about love and patriotism (which is also love – love of country and countrymen) but much more difficult to practice what one preaches.
If two Armenians cannot share their Armenianism, neither it seems can they share their humanity. Why this should be so is beyond me. If you have an answer, please let me have it.
To be fair, not all Armenians hate Armenians. Armenians can be excellent friends provided they live on different continents, share the same belief system, and their grand-grandparents were born and raised in the same obscure little village in Anatolia.
What if the so-called superior brand of Armenianism of Ottomanized Armenians is nothing but an inferior brand of Ottomanism?
Armenian and Armenian is like cat and dog, or cobra and mongoose, or chicken and fox, or Armenian and Turk.
#
Old 04.08.2008, 05:48   #2
Младенец

Downloads: 3

who is the armenian actually???i'm in confuse...please explain to me clearly...thank for your help
Old 04.08.2008, 23:08   #3
Provocative

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by along View Post
who is the armenian actually???i'm in confuse...please explain to me clearly...thank for your help
For knowing who is an Armenian you should know first about the country. Any good history book will tell you what you need to . Otherwise you can follow this link

Please note that I'm not Armenian nor Malaysian... and didn't ask where is Malaysia!

Cheers!
Old 05.08.2008, 22:34   #4
Provocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabaliozian View Post
A writer? Me? No!
My sincere compliments! This assertion (deny) came out late but it came! Thanks to whatever lightened your mind!

Cheers!
Old 06.08.2008, 07:58   #5
Младенец

Red Stone, thanks for your help..i'm really apprreciate it...i had know about armenian just now..but just a little...not really understand...and,i want to ask you something..where is ilha dos amores? is it in maxico?i try to search the country but it doesn't work...may you help me to know about it..moreover you are there right?anyway...thank you again..you really helpful.........
Old 06.08.2008, 15:32   #6
Provocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by along View Post
Red Stone, thanks for your help..i'm really apprreciate it...i had know about armenian just now..but just a little...not really understand...and,i want to ask you something..where is ilha dos amores? is it in maxico?i try to search the country but it doesn't work...may you help me to know about it..moreover you are there right?anyway...thank you again..you really helpful.........
Hi Along!

Firstly let's talk about "Ilha dos Amores". The expression is Portuguese (I'm Portuguese) and really has no decent translation into English. Nevertheless you could see it as "Island of the Loves". As I said in Portuguese it means much more than this. I took it from an epic poem of Luis Vaz de Camões which reported the adventure of finding the seaway to India from western Europe in 1498.

According to Camões, when returning from Calcutah, Vasco da Gama found an island where he decided to rest (and grant rest to the crew). This island was populated by nymphas who were more than willing to pleasure these sailors. This is the "Ilha dos Amores" where I would like to live if it existed...

Now about Armenians. For knowing a bit about them there is no recipe. What I did was just being myself, participate in the forum, agreeing and disagreeing. Now I'm proud of having some Armenian friends (I met personally three of them ), and don't like to see people who only point out the bad qualities of some (even if it's the majority) of them .

This said it's up to you finding your own way among us (while not being an Armenian this is my beloved forum )

Cheers!
De ton corps doux et chaud,
J'ai envie d'être aimé Domino

From a beautiful love song of the 50s called Domino, music by Louis Ferrari, lyrics by Jacques Plante
Old 06.08.2008, 19:27   #7
Бакалавр

Downloads: 0

Sunday, August 1, 2008
FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE
For a thousand years we dreamed of freedom but we at no time asked ourselves if we are worthy of freedom. For a thousand years we dreamed of free speech, and now that we have it, we rant, bluster, curse, and reduce our discussion forums into cesspools of verbal abuse. We brag about survival but we don't know how to live. How long before we are born again as human beings as opposed to being bundles of mutual contempt, intolerance, and hatred?
The very same Armenians who brag about out heroes, hide their identity behind false names as if they were important enough to be targeted for assassination; and to make sure no one will locate them, they pretend to live in remote corners of the globe. And what do they do with their newly acquired sense of invulnerability? They hurl insults and profanities at anyone who dares to question their infallibility...
Some people learn from their mistakes. We cover up ours or pretend we never made them. It was all someone else's fault, beginning with Turks; and armed with that conviction we behave like Turks. Even in a civilized country, when Armenian meets Armenian, it's the Ottoman Empire all over again.
If you say I am wrong, I say, sure why not? But if you say you are infallible, all I can say is, go ahead, make an ass of yourself.
“Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty I am free at last to make an ass of myself!” Is that all there is to freedom? You want solutions to our problems? Make yourself worthy of freedom, and then we will exercise our human right of free speech and talk. Until then we are not the cradle of civilization but its grave.
#

Monday, August 4, 2008
METAPHYSICS
Whenever I lose a critic – in our context, a euphemism for an enemy who is out for blood – whenever I lose a vampire, I also lose a source of inspiration. The only solution to that problem is to enter a new Armenian discussion forum, and bingo! presto! – it never fails: before you can say Jack S. Avanakian, I run into half-a-dozen new avanaks.
The best way to combat depression is to count your blessings. I do that all the time and it never fails. Things could be much worse, I say to myself. I could be a Chinese living in China, or a Russian living in Stalin's USSR, or an Armenian in America before the advent of the Internet.
When I was silenced by the editors of our weeklies, two friends sprang to my defense: one, an employee of IBM in San Jose, sent me a computer; the other from Toronto, sat down with me and with great patience taught me how to use it.
I believe God created my friends, and the Devil created my enemies. I also believe God created man and the Devil created woman. For it takes a diabolical imagination to think of all those curves and secret interstices that will reduce any man to an irrational bundle of desires, urges, and drives.
If God created man, who then created Talaat, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, and Mussolini? Good question. My tentative answer: nobody. They were not creations but reincarnations of the Devil.
Finally, which came first, the chicken or the egg? It was the rooster, of course!
#
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
ON THE IRRESISTIBLE CHARM OF ARMENIANS
“You are a pessimist,” a friend tells me, and goes on: “The only predictable thing about life is that it is unpredictable. We don't know what's going to happen next.
I for one will not be astonished if we enter another Golden Age. Our literature enjoyed a Renaissance in Istanbul at the turn of the last century. Why not another Renaissance in the Homeland or Diaspora or both?”
“Cultures, civilizations, empires, nations – once dead, they stay buried,” I explain. “Consider the history of such empires as the Roman, the Ottoman, and more recently, the Soviet. To think that a new Alexander the Great will be born and raise the Macedonian Empire from the grave is an impossible dream, an illusion, a plot for a science fiction novel... To speak of another Golden Age of Armenian literature and culture in our context is not optimism but megalomania run amok. Let us therefore be more realistic, shall we? Let us aim at common sense and decency.”
Because I write against dividers, they call me a divider. Because I write against fanaticism, they call me a fanatic. And because I make fun of sermonizers, they call me a sermonizer.
Until I visit Armenia, I do not qualify as an Armenian, a reader tells me. To him I say, “If Armenians in Armenia are as nasty as you are, telling me to go to Armenia amounts to telling me to go to hell. To which I can only say, no, thanks. I prefer to stay in my own gulag.”
If a man is both ignorant and stupid, he will also be stupid and ignorant about all the evidence against his self-assessed status as a genius.
In his novel, A PARTISAN'S DAUGHTER (New York, 2008) Louis de Bernieres writes about “an emperor who blinded all his prisoners except for one in every hundred, who was supposed to lead the others home, and when the opposing king saw what had happened to his troops, he died of the shock.” What he doesn't say is that both the emperor (Basil II Bulgaroktonus [Bulgar-slayer]) and the Bulgarian king (Czar Samuel) were of Armenian descent. For more details, see my book, THE ARMENIANS: THEIR HISTORY AND CULTURE (New York, 1981).
#
"Every nation ridicules other nations, and all are right." Arthur Schopenhauer

Wednesday, August 6, 2008
ON ARMENIAN PECULIARITIES AND PARADOXES
Most of my readers are Armenian and they read me not to enhance their understanding or to consider a worldview different from their own, but to settle a score with me.
After insulting me daily for several years in an Armenian discussion forum, a reader called to apologize – that's another Armenian peculiarity: insulting publicly, apologizing privately. His apology was so verbose and disarming that I believed him. I completely ignored the old saying, “If you hear a mountain has moved, believe it. If you hear a man has changed, believe it not.” And sure enough, shortly after his apology, this reader reverted to his old ways and he is still at it.
The Armenian paradox: Even as he behaves like swine, he considers himself a superior being, and he believes the only way to assert his superiority is by looking down at his fellow men.
It happened in Athens at the end of World War II and at the beginning of the Greek Civil War. Very early one morning the rumor spread that there were three corpses in a ditch less than a block from our house. I was eight or nine then, and I joined the small crowd to view the unusual sight. Later we were told both the victims and their killers had been members of rival Armenian political gangs.
There is a dark side to our story, and the older I grow the larger the darkness grows. And the prevalent misconception among us is that it is the duty of every patriotic Armenian to cover up this darkness and to pretend it doesn't exist.
I am constantly attacked for being a defective or bad Armenian, a Turk in disguise, a traitor to the Cause, and so on; even though on several occasions I have stated in no uncertain terms that my ambition in life is not to be a good Armenian (whatever the hell that means) but a decent human being, and to think of others (including Turks) not as members of a different nation or tribe but as member of the human race.
#
"Every nation ridicules other nations, and all are right."
Old 07.08.2008, 06:23   #8
Младенец

ooo..really?it's so intresting to live at an island...you make me try to imagine the island...i'm just can say that it's full with ship...fisherman..fresh wind..stand in the middle of sea...is it true?...i'm just view it..i think i'm started to enjoy to have you as my friend....thank you so much..
Sponsored Links

« muses | wisdom »

На правах рекламы:
реклама