Armenian Knowledge Base  

Go Back   Armenian Knowledge Base > General Discussions > English Only > Comments
Register

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06.09.2008, 17:44   #1
Бакалавр

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default observations

Thursday, September 4, 2008
DIARY
When after Independence 1,500,000 Armenians chose to emigrate, did anyone ever utter the word genosuicide or see the statistical connection?
I once received a letter from a descendant of Raffi that said, among other things, “If Raffi were alive today, he would agree with you.” The memory of that letter means more to me than the 1001 insultS hurled at me by faceless, nameless, cowardly riffraff.
After silencing and alienating all dissenters, they say Armenians are unanimous on this point, when the only time we have achieved unanimity is in our passive acceptance of our status as perennial underdogs.
Americans speak of spin doctors. We don't have them. Ours are all quacks.
A Russian intellectual as quoted by Schlesinger in his JOURNALS: “I would die for democracy. But I know my people. They do not want democracy. They have never known democracy. The czars? Lenin? Stalin? Khrushchev? Brezhnev? They fear democracy. They want to be told what to do.”
If, to the above list of authoritarian rulers we add a succession of sultans that ruled us for 600 years, the picture becomes more depressing and our prospects more grim. I will never forget the university student from the Homeland who once demanded of me: “What's so great about democracy anyway?”
#
Friday, September 5, 2008
DIARY / III
At least in one specific endeavor I can declare myself an unqualified success – that of alienating everyone who is someone in our communities. What Zarian confided to his diary and notebooks (published only posthumously) I have posted on discussion forums and websites on the Internet accessible to the whole world.
Since God is the Great Unknown and Unknowable, all my efforts are now concentrated in placing as great a distance as possible between myself and the Devil, whose kingdom is within us as well as without – because someone else's within is my without.
When they didn't like what I wrote, they wanted to hire me. Once, I was even asked to write the biography of a national benefactor, to which I said I did not consider myself equal to the task. And they say I lack diplomacy....
When an Armenian is good, he is good like everyone else. But when he is bad, he is bad like a Turk – or rather, his conception of a Turk: a fat mustachioed slob in shalvars wielding a yataghan dripping with blood.
To die in the name of an ideal is heroic, but not if the enemy does it.
To humanize the dehumanized is a job not for intellectuals but for prophets and messiahs.
With fools, pretend to be a fool, if that is, you want to live longer.
At the turn of the last century in the Ottoman Empire Armenian writers wrote mostly about Armenians. In the 21st century in America they write mostly about Turks.
#
Saturday, September 6, 2008
OBSERVATIONS
Freedom and patriotism are weasel words: they can be defined in a number of contradictory ways. Freedom could also mean the freedom to exploit and enslave; and what could be more absurd than to say my patriotism is good but my enemy’s patriotism is bad?
How much of what we know today would be reduced to ignorance if we were to see reality through the eyes of God?
It is not enough to voice lofty principles. One must earn the right. For myself, I shall always be grateful to Judas for not writing an ode to loyalty. But as an Armenian, I am used to reading editorials on tolerance by fanatics and listening to sermons on chastity by fornicators.
Mountain people think their mountain is the center of the world. They view other mountains with suspicion and the valley below with contempt. They develop their own ways and consider all others as deviations. We are mountain people who refuse to give up their mountain ways even when they live on flatlands.
Greed makes a man more cunning as well as stupid: more cunning in his employment of means to achieve his end, and more stupid in thinking he can hide his greed.
#
Old 10.09.2008, 19:19   #2
Бакалавр

Sunday, September 7, 2008
THE DA VINCI CODE
In still another book written by an American theologian, we are informed that the assumptions and conclusions of the DA VINCI CODE are without foundation. Maybe so, but the book raises two very important questions that so far no theologian or historian of Christianity has even attempted to answer: (a) How to explain the universal oppression of women by men? and (b) After making a mess of the world, how dare men think they can do a better job than women?
SCHLESINGER'S JOURNALS
Notwithstanding his annoying habit of name-dropping – there are at least a dozen celebrities mentioned on almost every other page – I am enjoying this gossipy book, perhaps because Schlesinger has a wonderful gift for biting politically incorrect one-liners, which happens to be my favorite genre of writing. Three random samples follow.
On Dan Quayle: “a rich jerk from Indiana.”
On homosexuals: “the crime that dare not speak its name now won't shut up.”
On Newt Gingrich: “a puppy frisking about hoping to be patted.”
He speaks often of the importance books have played in his life but he seldom mention specific titles except his own.
FORUM
The other day someone by the name of Mustafa or Ali wrote something to the effect that he was in the mood for screwing Armenians, and for some reason or other the Armenian moderator saw nothing objectionable in it. But when I raised the issue of anonymity promoting irresponsible conduct, he deleted it immediately. Figure that one out if you can. Increasingly now our reality is being defined by a generation without an intellectual center and without a moral compass. An environment in which the brainless is leading the blind. A generation that preaches a phony brand of patriotism but promotes cowardice, verbal abuse, and cannibalism. I am reminded of the e-mail I once received that said: “I am a proud Armenian.” Signed “Anonymous.”
There should be a clear line separating the lowest common denominator (inevitable in a democracy or wherever the majority rules) from the scum of the earth. When this line is blurred, anarchy is bound to follow.
#
Monday, September 8, 2008
Schlesinger on John McCain in a 1998 entry: “Speaking at a Republican dinner, he told the following so-called joke: Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because she is the illegitimate child of Hillary Clinton and Janet Reno. This plus his reputedly wayward sex life will surely destroy his evident presidential aspirations.”
If you have eyes only for your visible assets, others will see only your hidden liabilities.
Churchill once said something to the effect that courage is the greatest virtue because it defines all other virtues. Something similar could be said of honesty.
The brainwashed don't think. They are only brainwashed to believe they do. That's why when a brainwashed Armenian meets a brainwashed Turk, they can communicate only by means of verbal abuse.
There are two kinds of Armenians: those who think and those who recycle propaganda. Those who recycle propaganda speak louder and they are never wrong; and armed with that conviction, they persecute and silence anyone who dares to think for himself. Examples from the past: writers from Abovian to Zarian.
Sociological studies reveal that if a man is prejudiced against one group, he will be
prejudiced against others too. Which is why, in our case, prejudice against the Turks is very easily modulated to prejudice against fellow Armenians.
You can always rely on an Armenian to justify his selfish interests with a verbal avalanche of noble principles and ideals. In the words of a friend: "After fattening themselves on the blood of the innocent and the helpless, our Count Draculas are good at delivering lectures on the virtues of vegetarianism."
#
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
TWO VERY SHORT STORIES
WITH UNHAPPY ENDINGS
Once upon a time two men met on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere. One of them was an Armenian and the other a Turk.
Once upon a time two men met on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere. Both of them were Armenian.*
ANOTHER ARMENIAN STORY
When he was young, he wanted to be a writer but became instead an Oriental carpet dealer and made a million. Now he looks down on writers and thinks of them as naпve daydreamers and contemptible parasites.
QUESTIONS
When we speak of our culture and identity, can we really say our Oriental carpet dealers are not faithful manifestations of Armenianism?
What about the Armenian who hates Turks or anyone else who dares to be objective and honest?
What if by making a long list of his failings, Naregatsi was revealing our own?
What is the relative value of our cultural achievements if we bury them?
PATRIOTISM EXPLAINED
If it's ours, it's bound to be good even when it's bad. If it's theirs it's bound to be bad even when it's good. Our fanatics are better than their moderates. Our crooks are classier crooks. Patriotism is a contest whose rules are fixed to favor only one side.
#
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
REFLECTIONS ON FASCISM AND DEMOCRACY
It is widely known among citizens of a democracy that politics is the second oldest profession and that in many ways it resembles the first. Fascists agree but they think this does not apply to them. Which amounts to saying, “Our bordello madams, unlike yours, are virgins.”
The trouble with some of my fascist critics is that they don’t consider me worthy of criticism. Instead, they insist that I either give up writing or change my views in such a manner as to jibe with theirs. In short, they demand that I become a disciple and an echo. Their disciple and their echo! My critics are not literary critics in the usual sense of these words, but messianic figures whose message is “Abandon your ways and follow me, for I am the only path to wisdom and salvation.” To such an Armenian to say anything but “Yes, master!” would be apostasy leading to eternal damnation and hellfir
Memmi: “Every colonial nation carries the seeds of fascist temptation in its bosom.”
Old 10.09.2008, 23:22   #3
Академик

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabaliozian View Post
Sunday, September 7, 2008
THE DA VINCI CODE
In still another book written by an American theologian, we are informed that the assumptions and conclusions of the DA VINCI CODE are without foundation. Maybe so, but the book raises two very important questions that so far no theologian or historian of Christianity has even attempted to answer: (a) How to explain the universal oppression of women by men? and (b) After making a mess of the world, how dare men think they can do a better job than women?
So why don't you follow up your own questions? Why don't you leave writing to females? Be the change. C'mon

I am not the one to protect anti-feminism standings. But let's be little bit fare. Connecting this to Christianity or any other religion is nonsense. Atheist Soviet Union haven't seen much more woman rights and freedom than Catholic middle age Europe. The same in atheist North Korea.

Centuries before Jesus Abraham stood for his nation and controlled and ruled it. At least Hebrew tales/bible and Christian Bible tell us that he and not his wife ruled a nation. Ah I guess here comes Catholic Conspiracy by Dan :0 Common it's stupid. Catholics changed everything. Even Assyrian kings' scripts left on the rocks in the deserts. It makes me smile. Even Jews call themselves sons of Jacob and Abraham and not sons of Sara. Before this in pagan times ancient Greeks, Persians, Parthia had kings, sons of kings, and only in case of absence of male child they tried to give kingdoms to the hands of their daughters. Why? I do not know. Is this fare? I think no. And in my particular life I do not examine the same <male is the head> attitude. And I try to express my points of views as much as I can. But I cannot connect this to Christianity. It has way back going roots. Fact is that before Catholicism, before Jesus, before even word EUROPE had any meaning history of male-female relations was like that. Egyptian pharaohs were dominantly males.

I guess Brown just hates church , or maybe hates only Catholic church, or maybe hates even Jesus. I do not know. This is a matter of historians to understand his motives of being Antichrist. But for him Being a little more fare he would have notice these facts.

Quote:
The brainwashed don't think. They are only brainwashed to believe they do. That's why when a brainwashed Armenian meets a brainwashed Turk, they can communicate only by means of verbal abuse.
Questions. Do you think of you as a brainwashed? If yes no latter questions. If no than how do you determine who is brainwashed who is not. Everybody can claim they don't. Isn't it right? Ah! Is there some universal test that can everybody take (no matter colour, race, nation, gender) and have a written result as <brainwashed> or <not brainwashed>. If there is such thing please give us a link to it or a place to buy a hardcopy of it. If there is no such link than I guess you just take your <non brainwashingness> as an axioma and continue on. Well there should always be axioms. No way without them. No theory without any base. Even Sufi's got them. I just want to know your axioms.

Quote:
There are two kinds of Armenians: those who think and those who recycle propaganda. Those who recycle propaganda speak louder and they are never wrong; and armed with that conviction, they persecute and silence anyone who dares to think for himself. Examples from the past: writers from Abovian to Zarian.
Nope. There is another type. The brave representative of that type is your majesty Ara Baliozian. Who blames everybody who recycle propaganda by recycling his own propaganda. Who does not speak louder since does not speak at all. He just writes to have coverage that he does not speak at all he is just a writer. Sort of self-protection before somebody woud say something. Who prays all the day to be insulted by Armenian to have something to write. Once you were sincere. You are garbage collector and you need garbage. Every nation has them. Armenians are not worse nor better than any other. It's just your way of expressing yourself and making you self confident of your thoughts. Sort of <lord please give me today 2 more Armenians that will hurt me so I will have more air to breathe>. Yesterday I saw in Toronto a person bagging for money with the piece of paper and he was asking <Will take verbal abuse for money>. Your situation is just like that. No no I do now want to be your garbage. Sorry. Not because I do not want to be called garbage. Nor because I do not want to leave you without air to breathe. I am sure you will find enough garbage in Armenians to write as you describe, even without adding me to list. But let's be fare. You seek Armenians who insult you. That is it. Everyone who seeks something finds. And you know for sure that we are not exceptional bads that you would write the same thing on for instance Vietnamese being you Vietnamese. So being us even angels you would write the same. With only one difference. You would be so ill with the lack of air ...

Stay in peace

http://moskull.livejournal.com/
Old 11.09.2008, 01:27   #4
Provocative

Downloads: 9

Barev!

After the brilliant (in my opinion, and I'm not Armenian) reply of Երեխա, in spite of a couple of typos, I dare to ask arabaliozian two things:

1st.- Please merge all your threads into one with just one subject: "Armenians are garbage!" After all it is the summary of the big majority of your posts.

2nd. - Once you claim to be Armenian (a good one) why don't you cultivate your own language writing in Armenian and not in English? In this way you could avoid boring people like me who are tired of reading about your frustrations. Or do you just want to say to all the World that "Armenians are garbage"? Or you don't know your language that should be by itself your homeland?

Thanks for reading!
De ton corps doux et chaud,
J'ai envie d'être aimé Domino

From a beautiful love song of the 50s called Domino, music by Louis Ferrari, lyrics by Jacques Plante

Last edited by Red Stone; 13.09.2008 at 02:25. Reason: Clarifying the target of the request.
Old 13.09.2008, 18:06   #5
Бакалавр

Thursday, September 11, 2008
ENCOUNTERS WITH WRITERS
He was a veteran of World War II and the best-selling author of a battle, which was made into a TV documentary. I no longer remember how we met but I remember him saying there are 42 (may have been 44) ways in which a publisher can screw a writer. I remember that because around the same time I read another writer, an attractive blonde, who said, “Just when you think you have been screwed every possible way, you run into a publisher who has read the KAMA SUTRA.”
“I write constantly, I write non-stop,” another writer told me. “I may be talking to you now but on another level I am writing. I write more than I read. I hope you do too.” No, I don't. I may write or rewrite for 30 or 45 minutes every morning but the rest of the time I read.
For three decades he was one of our most popular writers in the Diaspora and he was popular with everyone, including bosses, bishops, and benefactors (who subsidized the publication of his books). He wrote mostly fiction and he disapproved of my increasingly critical stance. So much so that he left my last letters unanswered. When he died, he is quoted as having said, “I die alone and friendless.”
After reading some of my commentaries and book reviews, Saroyan asked me if I do any “creative” writing, meaning fiction. I sent him my most recent novella published in an American literary periodical but never heard from him again. Another writer who knew him well, once said to me: “Saroyan cares only for Saroyan.” That's the way it is with all established writers. They view the work of other writers as deviations from their own. Faulkner didn't like Hemingway, and vice versa. Nabokov was contemptuous of Mann and Sartre. But then, Nabokov didn't care for many other writers, including Dostoevsky. Dostoevsky himself loathed Turgenev, and whenever Turgenev saw anything that was morbid, strange, and repellent, he would say, “C'est du Dostoevsky.” Another great writer who didn't care for Dostoevsky was Tolstoy, but it is said that the last book he read, or did not finish reading, was THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV.
#
Friday, September 12, 2008
LIMITATIONS
Since I have spent most of my life in the company of books, I don't mind admitting that I know very little or nothing about life, reality, and the world at large. As a result, I have many more doubts than certainties. But one of the very few certainties I feel qualified to profess is that we are not a race apart. We should be judged as human beings and not as Armenians, whatever that may mean to our chauvinists and holier-than-thou charlatans. I refuse to be taken in by academics and pundits who expect me to believe that, since they know more about our history and culture, ordinary standards do not apply to us. Neither am I easily taken in by ayatollahs, popes, bishops, and the verbiage of so-called charismatic politicians. To those who quote Holy Books and speak in the name of the Almighty, I say: Only if you reach a consensus among yourselves, may I consider listening to what you have to say. Until then I question your authority to hang a label on me as a heretic, an infidel, or an atheist. If I am an atheist, it's because I am against all theists who speak in the name of God and do the Devil's work. And to those who speak in the name of patriotism, I say: If your patriotism justifies the murder of innocent civilians, the hangman's rope is too good for you.
#
Saturday, September 13, 2008
BURNING QUESTIONS
Was Jesus the son of God, a prophet, or a blasphemer?
This is not exactly a burning question for me. As far as I can remember, I have not wasted a single moment of my adult life worrying over it.
The burning question for me is how can Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religious leaders go on brainwashing and propagandizing entire continents and get away with it? How can reasonable men allow themselves to be manipulated to the point of killing and dying with the unshakable conviction that they will be rewarded in an afterlife? How can decent and law-abiding citizens surrender their minds and souls to these charlatans who are no better than moral morons or intellectual midgets, and probably both, simply because they quote from a so-called Holy Book which they say it's the Word of God?
#
Sponsored Links

На правах рекламы:
реклама