Old 04.10.2004, 18:25   #1
the happiest girl

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Thank you, President Bush

Thank you, President Bush

(c) Paulo Coelho

Thank you, great leader George W. Bush.

Thank you for showing everyone what a danger Saddam Hussein represents. Many of us might otherwise have forgotten that he had used chemical weapons against his own people, against the Kurds and against the Iranians. Hussein is a bloodthirsty dictator and one of the clearest expressions of evil in today's world.

But this is not my only reason for thanking you. During the first two months of 2003, you have shown the world a great many other important things and, therefore, deserve my gratitude.
So, remembering a poem I learned as a child, I want to say thank you.

Thank you for showing everyone that the Turkish people and their Parliament are not for sale, not even for 26 billion dollars.
Thank you for revealing to the world the gulf that exists between the decisions made by those in power and the wishes of the people. Thank you for making it clear that neither José María Aznar nor Tony Blair give the slightest weight to or show the slightest respect for the votes they received. Aznar is perfectly capable of ignoring the fact that 90% of Spaniards are against the war, and Blair is unmoved by the largest public demonstration to take place in England in the last thirty years.

Thank you for making it necessary for Tony Blair to go to the British Parliament with a fabricated dossier written by a student ten years ago, and present this as 'damning evidence collected by the British Secret Service'.

Thank you for allowing Colin Powell to make a complete fool of himself by showing the UN Security Council photos which, one week later, were publicly challenged by Hans Blix, the Inspector responsible for disarming Iraq.

Thank you for adopting your current position and thus ensuring that, at the plenary session, the French Foreign Minister, Dominique de Villepin's anti-war speech was greeted with applause - something, as far as I know, that has only happened once before in the history of the UN, following a speech by Nelson Mandela.

Thank you too, because, after all your efforts to promote war, the normally divided Arab nations, at their meeting in Cairo during the last week in February, were, for the first time, unanimous in their condemnation of any invasion.

Thank you for your rhetoric stating that 'the UN now has a chance to demonstrate its relevance', a statement which made even the most reluctant countries take up a position opposing any attack on Iraq.

Thank you for your foreign policy which provoked the British Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, into declaring that in the 21st century, 'a war can have a moral justification', thus causing him to lose all credibility.

Thank you for trying to divide a Europe that is currently struggling for unification; this was a warning that will not go unheeded.

Thank you for having achieved something that very few have so far managed to do in this century: the bringing together of millions of people on all continents to fight for the same idea, even though that idea is opposed to yours.

Thank you for making us feel once more that though our words may not be heard, they are at least spoken - this will make us stronger in the future.
Thank you for ignoring us, for marginalising all those who oppose your decision, because the future of the Earth belongs to the excluded.
Thank you, because, without you, we would not have realised our own ability to mobilise. It may serve no purpose this time, but it will doubtless be useful later on.

Now that there seems no way of silencing the drums of war, I would like to say, as an ancient European king said to an invader: 'May your morning be a beautiful one, may the sun shine on your soldiers' armour, for in the afternoon, I will defeat you.'
Thank you for allowing us - an army of anonymous people filling the streets in an attempt to stop a process that is already underway - to know what it feels like to be powerless and to learn to grapple with that feeling and transform it.
So, enjoy your morning and whatever glory it may yet bring you.

Thank you for not listening to us and not taking us seriously, but know that we are listening to you and that we will not forget your words.

Thank you, great leader George W. Bush.
Thank you very much.

March 8, 2003
Old 04.10.2004, 19:41   #2
Provocative

Downloads: 9

Great, PsilocybeLarvae!

Where did you find this text? I put the question, because the author having a completely portuguese name I would like to search for the original, that should be even better and richer (because of the language).

A pity he didn't refer Barroso when talking about Blair and Aznar...

Cheers!
De ton corps doux et chaud,
J'ai envie d'être aimé Domino

From a beautiful love song of the 50s called Domino, music by Louis Ferrari, lyrics by Jacques Plante
Old 05.10.2004, 18:00   #3
the happiest girl

Red Stone, here is the letter in Portuguese
http://www2.uol.com.br/paulocoelho/d...dente_Bush.pdf

Also check out
http://www.paulocoelho.com.br/
Old 05.10.2004, 19:01   #4
Provocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsilocybeLarvae
Red Stone, here is the letter in Portuguese
http://www2.uol.com.br/paulocoelho/d...dente_Bush.pdf

Also check out
http://www.paulocoelho.com.br/
Thank you, very very much!
Even more because I didn't know the writer... Sometimes these things happen between Portugal and Brasil... You must go to Yerevan for being introduced to someone who speaks (and writes) your language...
Old 05.10.2004, 19:35   #5
the happiest girl

Red Stone, you are most welcome
Old 06.10.2004, 09:59   #6

very impressing article
Old 07.10.2004, 15:35   #7
Дошкольник

Downloads: 0
Default Bush speaks

I always thought that jocks about Bush's limited mental capasity are exagerated. These are phrases from his speeches. Sorry, it's a bit too long.

Jorge Bush says:

“I don’t know whether I’m going to win or not. I think I am. I do know I’m ready for the job. And if not, that’s just the way it goes.”

“I understand small business growth. I was one.”

“I know the human beings and fish can coexist peacefully.” - my favorit one

The administration I’ll bring is a group of men and women who are focused on what’s best for America, honest men and women, decent men and women, women who will see service to our country as a great privilege and will not stain the house.”

“They have miscalculated me as a leader.”

“They misunderestimated me.”

“That’s a chapter, the last chapter of the twentieth, twentieth, twenty-first century that most of us would rather forget. The last chapter of the twentieth century. This is the first chapter of the twenty-first century.”

“There is a huge trust. I see it all the time when people come up to me and say, <I don’t want you to let me down again.>”

“We must all hear the universal call to like your neighbor just like you like to be liked yourself.”

“Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.”

“I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.”

“We want our teachers to be trained so they can meet the obligations, their obligations as teachers. We want them to know how to teach the science of reading. In order to make sure there’s not this kind of federal – federal cufflink.”

“One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.” That is what he likes about books - pictures!!!

“Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?” - note the grammar

“It’s clearly a budget. It’s got a lot of numbers in it.”

“If the East Timorians decide to revolt, I’m sure I’ll have a statement.”

“Keep good relations with the Grecians.”

“I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy.”

“I hope to get a sense of, should I be fortunate enough to be the president, how my administration will react to the Middle East.”

“It’s your money. You paid for it.”

“If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow.”

“One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected.”

“This campaign not only hears the voices of the entrepreneurs and the farmers and the entrepreneurs, we hear the voices of those struggling to get ahead.”

“I think we agree, the past is over.”

“Actually, I – this may sound a little West Texan to you, but I like it. When I’m talking about – when I’m talking about myself, and when he’s talking about myself, all of us are talking about me.”

“And there’s no doubt in my mind, not one doubt in my mind, that we will fail.”

“I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe – I believe what I believe is right.”

“The terrorist acts and, you know, the responses have got to end in order for us to get the framework – the groundwork – not the framework, the groundwork to discuss a framework for peace, to lay the – all right.”

“We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease.”

“Do you have blacks too?”

“Neither in French nor in English nor in Mexican.”

“They didn’t think we were a nation that could conceivably sacrifice for something greater than our self; that we were soft, that we were so self-absorbed and so materialistic that we wouldn’t defend anything we believed in. My, were they wrong. They just were reading the wrong magazine, or watching the wrong Springer show.”

“It would be a mistake for the United States Senate to allow any kind of human cloning to come out of that chamber.”

“We are concerned about AIDS inside our White House – make no mistake about it.”

“Governor, thank you very much. I am here to make an announcement that this Thursday, ticket counters and airplanes will fly out of Ronald Reagan Airport.”

“I am mindful of difference between the executive branch and the legislative branch. I assured all four of these leaders that I know the difference, and that the difference is they pass the laws and I execute them.”

“I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to come and witness my hanging.”

“If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I’m the dictator.” Oh, that's honest, isn't it?

“Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call in hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods.”

“There’s no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I’ll never see it.”

“The thing that’s important for me is to remember what’s the most important thing.”

“Well, I think if you say you’re going to do something and don’t do it, that’s trustworthiness.”

“I think we ought to raise the age at which juveniles can have a gun.”
Old 19.10.2004, 21:57   #8
Provocative

They are all good, Strider, but my preferred ones are these two:
Quote:
“There is a huge trust. I see it all the time when people come up to me and say, <I don’t want you to let me down again.>”

“It would be a mistake for the United States Senate to allow any kind of human cloning to come out of that chamber.”
Old 20.10.2004, 00:00   #9
in love with life

Downloads: 0

the article is great! almost perfect, although i've got no other to compare to...it seems to me it's not that easy to write in such easy manner about so serious and impotant things.. viva sence of his humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

На правах рекламы:
реклама