LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25.07.2005, 14:18   #1
Stalker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brian May, Jivan Gasparyan, Peter Gabriel

Materials from Brian's Soapbox.
http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbjun05a.html

Here is a picture of me and my esteemed friend Jivan Gasparyan, the Master of the Armenian Duduk - he features on the GLADIATOR sound-track. We playfully swapped instruments for this picture, taken last year. We hope to be entertaining you together at Tromso !!

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brians...n_NY02_690.jpg

------------------
**Sat 04 Jun 05**

I THINK ABOUT IMPROVISATION EVERY DAY

Conversations with Jivan Gasparyan, the world's foremost DUDUK player. The Armenian Duduk is a wooden wind instrument, something like a cross between a western recorder and a flute, but subtly different, capable of incredible expression and feeling in Jivan's hands. Jivan played (and co-wrote) the unforgettable piece in the film "Gladiator", in which the hero in his imagination runs his hand over the waving corn of his homeland, dreaming of his family. Jivan and I were introduced some years ago by my friend Garik Israelian, the astronomer, and became friends. I am hoping to perform with him at the forthcoming 46664 Arctic show for Nelson Mandela's AIDS cause.

Bri

---

Jivan Gasparyan wrote:

Brian, have you ever had this strange feeling when you hear a music inside but you cannot play? Or whatever you play, you think its not exactly the same. I did many improvisations with different type of bands and orchestra. Sometime i found it easier to improvise than to get out the music you hear in your head day and night...

with love,
Jivan

This is so interesting, Jivan. I think about improvisation every day, especially now I am back out there on tour "as Queen" after a gap of 19 years !

I constantly wonder what it is that I am reaching for. In our music there are certain "set-pieces" - parts of the recorded song which I know people expect to hear. I can vary the content of these a little in the shows, but if I vary it too much the band fall apart ... ! And actually I would fall apart .. because often these pieces are there to achieve a certain effect ...maybe a transition or a climax...... or something which relates to a set of words.

However there are other parts of our repertoire in which I have played things a certain way on the record..but there are an infinite number of other ways they could be played live. I'm sure it is like this with you too. I can vary the phrasing, the expression, the sound, but also I can effectively play a different 'tune' if I want. It seems to me there are a large number of these different tunes which sound good, and perhaps express something inside me at the time, but there are also a large number of attempts which will essentially fail .... I find myself up a blind alley, or "lost" with respect to the underlying chords, or I hit something which simply sounds AWFUL !!!

On a good day, I can hear the music in my head, my passion, my "inhabitation of the piece" and I can bring it out and play it. On an average day, I can make some nice variations, but some will become ordinary or ineffective. On a bad day, I had better stick to the territory I know, and try to play what is "written" !

Brian
------------------

**Wed 08 Jun 05**

TRACKS TO BE PERFORMED WITH JIVAN

Brian will be playing with his duduk playing friend Jivan Gasparyan. The pair with be performing one of Jivan tracks and possibly a Queen or Brian May solo track. They are to be back by the 46664 house band which includes Spike Edney and Jamie Moses who were recently out on the road with Brian as part of the Queen + Paul Rodgers European Tour.

The second track is "The Feeling Begins" from [the soundtrack] The Last Temptation of Christ ! It's more "up" - We're hoping Peter Gabriel joins us for this. The first piece is from the opening of Gladiator, and is called "Duduk of the North" I think ! Jivan co-wrote both of them.

--------------------

**Sun 12 Jun 05**

ARCTIC QUESTIONS

Brian was asked about the lovely jacket he wore on stage last night when performing with Jivan Gasparyan:

My Jacket was a gift from Jivan ... it's Armenian traditional, but designed by himself. He made me an honorary Armenian for the night ! It was a great honour ! We DID it !

On playing those pieces with Jivan:

It was all busked really !! With varying success !!

And the fingers...

I carried around a drinking water bottle filled with hot water ..it worked a treat for the fingers ....

----------------------------

Live Concert at Tromso, Norway. July 15, 2005.

Here's Peter Gabriel and Jivan and me in the Green Room before our epoch-making performance !! Me in Honorary Armenian gear, of course !!

Jivan Gasparyan wrote:

Dear Friends,

I have asked Brian to publish this message in his website. I suspect that fans of Brian and Queen would like to hear my opinion about our collaboration.

First of all, i want to express my full satisfaction with the performance in Tromso. It was a challange for us for the following reasons:

1. It was the first time we were playing together. We did not have much time to rehearse (maybe 2 hours in total). Still, the band was great, simpye fantastic... Spike and others.. all brilliant musicans. I think we did our best and I feel happy.

2. It was very cold. My hands (and Brians too !) were frozen...Yet, I think we did our best and nobody has even noticed how hard we have been working to make the music.

3. I can imagine that the improvisation was more challenging for Brian...I was playing the stuff I knew very well and that I used to play many times while Brian was doing this kind of music for the first time. First time playing an Armenian style and "talking " with a duduk. This is not easy at all !

I must stress that I played duduk for 70 years (since I was 7), collaborated with many artists, different styles (LA Philarmonic and Kronos Orchestra, jazz bands, etc.). Yet, I am a folk musician playing one of the oldest instruments on our planet. Playing an ancient Armenian Christian music.

This was my first collaboration with a rock guitarist and I must admit that I could never imagine that an electric guitar may sound so gentle, so deep from the heart, so penetrating deep into your soul... Bravo Brian ! I have heard you playing in your solo albums and in Queen CDs but what you have done with a Gladiator soundtrack was absolutely fabulous. The blend of Brian's Red Special with my duduk was brilliant.

We talked with Peter Gabriel shortly after the concert and Peter has also mentioned that Brian's playing is touching your heart just like my duduk does... So the effect was double ! I have noticed that the audience in Tromso were listening carefully to our performance with Brian. We were doing something totally different, something unusual, never done before. This is nice because the life is a challenge, an experiment. A musician without a fantasy and a risk is a dead musican, dead artist.

I pay my deep respect to Brian May, Peter Gabriel, and all other healthy musicans who are not scared of making new collaborations, new experiments and take chalanges. The music is not only a business, famous name, publicity etc... It's an ART and we should never forget about this. I am happy that Peter and Brian are among those who valued my art.

In Tromso I met Justin Adams (currently a member of Robert Plant's band, Strange Sensation). Justin reminded me a concert which I did 15 years ago in Tokyo. It was raining very heavily and we were thinking that the concert for 7,000 people will be cancelled. However, people did not leave. Justin recalls that they were all crying after my performance. Duduk brought tears and the rain could not wash them out. I can imagine how many times Queen's "The Show Must Go On", "Who Wants To Live Forever", "Love Of My Life", Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up", "Mercy Street" etc.., brought tears into your eyes. This is a Real Art, an Art which has no time and no limits. I pay my deep respect to these artists.

I would like to thank Peter Gabriel, who did not think twice, and kindly accepted our invitation to appear on stage and play with us "The Feeling Begins" from the Last Temptention of Christ (i am sure you know that Peter wrote the music for this movie). He did not rehearse at all ! Again, only a great human and a real musican is able to make this step. Thank you very much Peter ! You have our love and our deep respect. Your talant has no limits !

I also want to thank our modest friend Garik (Astrophysicist, Dr. Garik Israelian). We could not make this collaboration and our perforamance at 46664 without Garik. He was my 4 language interpreter, manager, musical supervisor, advisor, travel agent.... everything !

First of all, he is my, and Brian's, good friend and I want to thank him for everything.

I hope we have made our little contribution to 46664. We shall do more !

with love,

Jivan Gasparyan

----------------------------

Last edited by Timewind; 26.07.2005 at 05:44.
Old 25.07.2005, 16:16   #2
just as it is

Downloads: 12

Haiko jan,

Harganqneris havastiq@ qerud - Garikin!)
Old 25.07.2005, 16:32   #3
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro
Haiko jan,

Harganqneris havastiq@ qerud - Garikin!)
kpoxancem!!! piti vor hishi qez Armagh-ic
Old 25.07.2005, 17:09   #4
just as it is

Downloads: 12

Che Haiko jan, chi hishi es Armagh eka inq@ gnacel er arden...
Old 25.07.2005, 21:10   #5
спасибо, коллега

только Gabriel он - Peter
Old 26.07.2005, 05:42   #6
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig
только Gabriel он - Peter