Join Date: 04 2002
Location: Лесное озеро
Uploads: 0Reputation: 0 | 0
USA 100 years ago
It May Be Hard to Believe That Only 100 Years Ago...
- The average life expectancy in the United States was forty-seven.
- Only 14 percent of the homes in the United States had a bathtub.
- Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone. A three minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.
- There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads.
- The maximum speed limit in most cities was ten mph.
- The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
- The average wage in the U.S. was twenty-two cents an hour. The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2500 per year, a veterinarian between $1500 and $4000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5000 per year.
- More than 95 percent of all births in the United States took place at home. - Ninety percent of all U.S. physicians had no college education. Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."
- Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
- Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason, either as travelers or immigrants.
- The five leading causes of death in the U.S. were: 1. Pneumonia and influenza 2. Tuberculosis 3. Diarrhea 4. Heart disease 5. Stroke
- Plutonium, insulin, and antibiotics hadn't been discovered yet. Scotch tape, crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.
- One in ten U.S. adults couldn't read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.
- Coca-Cola contained cocaine instead of caffeine.
- Eighteen percent of households in the United States had at least one full-time servant or domestic.
Who knows, may be we'll reach the US's present level in several hundred years ))))
Все женщины - ангелы, просто когда нам обламывают крылья, приходится летать на метле
Join Date: 01 2002
Uploads: 0Reputation: 267 | 5
even now we can laugh on that with russian/armenian cars and roads ...
Ախպեր դու էմիգրացիան տուրիզմի հետ մի խառնի...