Go Back   Armenian Knowledge Base > General Discussions > English Only

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Losing and winning
Old 05.08.2004, 19:57   #1
the happiest girl
 
Join Date: 02 2002
Location: Yerevan
Posts: 2,523
Rep Power: 5
Default Losing and winning

That's what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.


- from "The Bridge Across Forever"
Richard Bach

Couldn't have said it better

My question is why do guys hate to lose so badly? I know there are more competitive persons and less competitive ones, but still most of the guys go nuts even(especially?) when they lose a silly online game.
__________________
So much good, so much evil. Just add water. (c)

Old 05.08.2004, 20:20   #2
the happiest girl
 
Join Date: 02 2002
Location: Yerevan
Posts: 2,523
Rep Power: 5
Default

Here, went into trouble of finding some article by Richard Vegas.

http://www.1-work-at-home-based-busi...s/winning.html

"You NEVER learn from your successes. You only learn from your losses."

By Richard Vegas ©

Old 06.08.2004, 23:46   #3
Provocative
 
Red Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Ilha dos Amores
Posts: 1,491
Rep Power: 5
Default

Barew PsilocybeLarvae!
Quote:
most of the guys go nuts even(especially?) when they lose a silly online game
And they don't react here...

I know... I know... competition is inside men (and women) since they started populating the earth... unfortunately...

But at this stage I don't embark on that boat. Competition only with myself (trying to do things better today than I did yesterday!), and games, well a good seduction game seduces me...

Otherwise, and with the risk of being a minority and going against all the theories based on this wild capitalist world, if I win, it means that some of my brothers lost, and vice-versa.

My dear mother used to say to me when I was a child that the strongest one is the one who doesn't beat and is not beaten... This is my way of being in this world!

Lav egheq!
__________________
Red Stone
J'ai besoin de toi,
De tes mains sur moi,
De ton corps doux et chaud,
J'ai envie d'être aimé Domino

From a beautiful love song of the 50s called Domino, music by Louis Ferrari, lyrics by Jacques Plante

Old 07.08.2004, 20:21   #4
Младенец
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Yerevan
Age: 42
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Default

Agree as to holding competitions within oneself!... it's really most important when trying to gain sth.
The second but not less important is being able to admit one's being wrong - it' also a victory!...
Losing is never pleasant - losing is considered to be bad - anyhow but for all the losses in our lives we would never taste the marvellous "flavour" of the victories we've had. Losses are inseparable from victories - the thing is people should learn the great art of losing the game.......





Old 08.08.2004, 16:59   #5
the happiest girl
 
Join Date: 02 2002
Location: Yerevan
Posts: 2,523
Rep Power: 5
Default

Red Stone, thank you

fortune, agree 100 % ability to lose gracefully with the sense of dignity should be taught

It is probably all-american label of "loser" that i hate, which makes some people think that winning is everything

Last edited by PsilocybeLarvae; 20.08.2004 at 06:37.

Old 18.08.2004, 18:35   #6
панаехавший
 
Obelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2003
Location: форпост
Age: 39
Posts: 4,007
Rep Power: 0
Default

Quote:
My question is why do guys hate to lose so badly?
Well, maybe because we guys are used to winning and dominating... So especially when it involves losing to a woman it might be very annoying.

I personally hate losing when it means losing something i'm not very good at. But generally if I lose something i'm good at I don't carry it so badly...
__________________
Իսկ ԴՈՒ արդեն վաճառե՞լ ես Հայրենիքդ ռուսներին:
My Exchange Rate Monitor | Իմ Արտարժույթի Մոնիտորը

Old 20.08.2004, 05:45   #7
....
 
JennyWren's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2004
Location: Across the Universe
Age: 43
Posts: 2,497
Rep Power: 5
Default

Very nice quotes, thanks !

and here are the quotes I always liked, which I think, many of you perphaps have heard of.

"When you lose don't lose the lesson"
"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck."

From instructions for Life in the new millennium from Dalai Lama:
Reply




Реклама:
реклама
Buy text link .

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:23.
Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.