Есть на Форуме TechWriter-ы?
Old 12.08.2004, 08:52   #1
★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Default Есть на Форуме TechWriter-ы?

Hi Techies, Admins et al.

I belong to STC in the US. Membership in the US is $125/year plus a
one-time $15 fee for sign-up.

I checked the STC Chapters listing, and there is not currently a chapter or
region that includes Armenia. The India Chapter is part of Region 6; I'm not quite sure why, since Region 6 mostly covers the middle of the US, but that's where it is. Region 2, which covers the Eastern US, also includes most of Europe and parts of the Middle East, including Chapters for Russia, Slovenia
and Israel.

The employee handbook doesn't say whether professional association dues are reimbursed, I'll look into it and let you know as soon as I find out. But I intend to maintain mine even if they aren't, because I've found it useful. I'm not sure, though, if it would be as useful for you without a local chapter.

My intent is to organize a group of technical writers by means of this forum and your help, and launch an Armenian chapter of STC over here.

So, frankly I see very little chance of this > happening. If I have 15 technical writers wishing to support me and admins help me open a new separate forum for Technical Writers that would be a good starting point for all of us and for the country to be accepted as having an IT industry, where we - the technical writers - have also our role to augment and complement the product developers/engineers create.

What do you think of it?

http://texneg.livejournal.com

Old 12.08.2004, 09:09   #2

I am sure we can help you with new forum, if you could tell us more some details on how it will be used, are you going to recruit the new forum, bring new people and who's gonna take care of the forum (mostly moderation).

Looking forward to cooperate.

Old 12.08.2004, 10:00   #3
★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Hey, ACID!

Thanks for putting the first fix into this

I agree to do the required moderation work but with your guidance at every step. I guess we have support from Indian TWIN Forum where I am well-connected to the Indian tech writing GURUS and some other people on their list.

Am presently employed at Virage Logic and there are about 80 people who will be posting their messages on this list too. There are also about 50 people I know from various US writers forums and some other people from Framers list also. Assume, what will be the peak point for the ARMKB too.

Here's a broad view of my goals. There were about 50,000 Technical Writing jobs in the US in 2002. I have picked up this information from U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. For details, refer to http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos089.htm

Compare that with 4000 Technical Writing jobs available in India today! This number is my personal estimate based on the fact that TWIN has about 1200 members and the assumption that the membership covers only 35% of the industry's total jobs.

Now, if 20% of US jobs come not to India (because the rates of indian salaries are not attractive anymore because they are 1/3 less than US salaries), but to Armenia (for whatever reason!) in coming 2 years, there could be a demand for at least 8,000 to 10,000 more technical writers in Armenia. Any guesses on what can happen?
---
Here is my *guesswork*
-
1. There will be good demand for Technical Writing training courses.
-
2. Companies will try to attract good candidates. Job ads will go up.
Assuming that 8,000 jobs are created in 2 years - 4000 per year - 4000/52 =
76 jobs will be created every week. TWIN Job ads can go up to at least 17-18 per week.
-
3. The compensation package will increase till it becomes non-reasonable
and will come down again (obviously!). Question is, what will be the peak
point? I think it can be half of that of the same job being paid in the US
at that time. The packages will be made up of long-term components to ensure that the candidates will stay for longer time. For example, stock
options or sponsorships.
-
4. The possible increases can lead to many candidates changing jobs every -
There will be job changes every 6 to 10 months. This will make team formation difficult and will reduce success rate. This will push the demand for senior writers who can manage teams!
-
5. Looking at the demand, many professionals from parallel streams (journalism, programming, ID, medicine, training and so on) will enter Technical Writing.
-
6. If companies are not able to retain talent, demand for contractors will increase. That will create good freelancing opportunities. But most companies will insist on 6 to 12 month contracts.
-
7. If companies are not able to find talent, demand for Technical Writing Service Providers (TWSP) will increase. But they will have to find ways to retain talent as well.
-
8. If none of the arrangement works, some of the the jobs will go to other
countries or back to USA.
---
Actually, the future tense is not required. All this is happening! What do you say?

Old 12.08.2004, 10:28   #4

OK, pretty much informative and I appreciate it.
You'll have my answer by tomorrow.

Cheers!

Old 12.08.2004, 11:17   #5

Ne ploxaja idea.

Old 12.08.2004, 11:35   #6
★★★★★★★★★★★★★

спасибо Гетс джан!!!!!!!!1

Old 12.08.2004, 11:39   #7
★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Гейтс джан имелось ввиду

Old 12.08.2004, 12:26   #8
eternal_flame

Great Idea!!!

Hi, I represent the tech support of CIT Ltd.

So, that will be great to organize a new separate forum for Technical Writers in Armenia and I completely support your idea

To Sunshine
Old 12.08.2004, 12:48   #9
★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Default To Sunshine

Okay, here it goes... thanks for the support
Yes, we should try and form a local society. As I see it, it does not harm STC or anyone else.

Thanks again!

Old 12.08.2004, 23:33   #10
инсценирующи

Hm, Sounds nice

10x 4 the Support, Xelgen
Old 13.08.2004, 13:33   #11
★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Default 10x 4 the Support, Xelgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ Xelgen ]
Hm, Sounds nice
Thanks ... I'll include you on the list if you do not mind ....

Old 14.08.2004, 15:36   #12
Николай Константинов

Можно популярным языком объяснить, что планируется? И может ли webstudio.am чем-нибудь помочь?

Реклама:
реклама