Go Back   Armenian Knowledge Base > General Discussions > English Only > By the fire...

Not "Just a Mom"
Old 12.10.2005, 15:36   #1
the happiest girl

Default Not "Just a Mom"

Not "Just a Mom"

By Author Unknown

A woman named Emily renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk's office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation. She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

"What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job, or are you just a...

"Of course I have a job," snapped Emily. "I'm a mother."

"We don't list 'mother' as an occupation... 'housewife' covers it," said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar." "What is your occupation?" she probed.

What made me say it, I do not know... The words simply popped out. "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."

The clerk paused, ballpoint pen frozen in midair, and looked up as though she had not heard right.

I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?"

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't), in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family), and already have four credits, (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby), in the child-development program, testing out a new vocal pattern.

I felt triumphant! I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another mother."

Motherhood...What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research Associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations" and great grandmothers "Executive Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!!

I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants".

http://www.wow4u.com/notjustamom/index.html

Old 12.10.2005, 16:51   #2
Silence

))) sweet:P

Old 12.10.2005, 18:03   #3
poor misguided fool

awww, how nice! thanks for sharing.

Old 13.10.2005, 11:33   #4
Академик

Swell

Old 14.10.2005, 17:30   #5
Provocative

... and... why not burying bureaucracy and titles?
Thanks Psi!

Old 13.08.2008, 03:28   #6
Младенец

wonderful story...let we enjoy the life with our's great mother!!!thanks...

Old 11.10.2008, 17:30   #7
Devashish

Mother is the superior most among everything; in Hindu religion "Goddess Durga, Saraswati, Laxmi etc.. are worshiped and entitled as the sole authority over everyone, who care their children (we all) always. Hinduism defines Mother, Father and Teacher as God. It's written in Vedas "The oldest of the religious dictum ever written on earth" that in mother's feet, heaven lies.
Unfortunately occupation of that stature is assigned to Women only. Fathers might be the kind sponsors who have intense love towards the project! Some of them might like to experiment themselves as well! Good Share.

Реклама:
реклама