Go Back   Armenian Knowledge Base > Thematic forums > History and Politics

Ambassador Evans to be Recalled for Acknowledging the Genocide
Old 08.03.2006, 07:42   #1
Easy rider

Exclamation Ambassador Evans to be Recalled for Acknowledging the Genocide

AMBASSADOR EVANS TO BE RECALLED FOR ACKNOWLEDGING THE GENOCIDE

Ever since last year, when John Evans, the U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, during a tour of the Armenian American community, broke rank with his superiors and publicly acknowledged the Armenian Genocide, there have been persistent stories circulating about his possible recall.

Last year, during a public gathering at the University of California at Berkeley, Amb. Evans courageously said: "I will today call it the Armenian Genocide…. I informed myself in depth about it. I think we, the US government, owe you, our fellow citizens, a more frank and honest way of discussing this problem. Today, as someone who has studied it … there’s no doubt in my mind [as to] what happened…. I think it is unbecoming of us, as Americans, to play word games here. I believe in calling things by their name." Referring to the Armenian Genocide as "the first genocide of the 20th century," he said: "I pledge to you, we are going to do a better job at addressing this issue." Amb. Evans also disclosed that he had consulted with a legal advisor at the State Department who had confirmed that the events of 1915 were "genocide by definition."

Within days of making these statements and after complaints from Turkish and Azeri officials to the State Department, Amb. Evans was ordered by his superiors to issue "a clarification" in which he said that "misunderstandings" might have arisen as a result of his earlier comments. He said that he had used the term "genocide" in his "personal capacity."

The very next day, Amb. Evans was further embarrassed when he was ordered to issue "a correction" to his "clarification," amending the words "the United States policy on the Armenian Genocide" to "the United States policy on the Armenian tragedy." The Turkish press reported that the State Dept. had forced him to make this "correction," after receiving complaints from Turkey’s Ambassador to Washington.

Several months later, under pressure from the State Department, the American Foreign Service Association took the very unusual step of rescinding a "Constructive Dissent" award that it had decided to grant Amb. Evans during a special ceremony that was to be held at the State Department on June 17, 2005. It is highly ironic that Amb. Evans was deprived of a "dissent" award for deviating from official U.S. policy! Around that time, he was abruptly summoned to Washington, D.C. by his superiors for consultations.

After months of uncertainty, it now appears that the rumors about his possible dismissal have finally become reality. The State Department recently finalized the decision to recall him. According to reliable Armenian governmental sources, Amb. Evans informed high-ranking Armenian officials last week about his departure in the coming months, pending the Senate approval of his likely successor, Richard E. Hoagland, who is currently the U.S. Ambassador to Tajikistan. Knowledgeable U.S. sources in Washington have confirmed to this writer that Amb. Evans was being recalled because of his candid remarks on the Armenian Genocide. Neither the Ambassador nor the State Dept. has made any public comments regarding these developments.

It is noteworthy that during a hearing before the House International Relations Committee last month, Cong. Adam Schiff (Democrat of California) asked US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice several pointed questions regarding Amb. Evans. Cong. Schiff asked that Secretary Rice explain in writing if the State Dept. played any role in the reversal of the decision to grant Amb. Evans the "dissent" award. Cong. Schiff also asked the Secretary State to assure the House Committee that the Department of State has not taken, and will not take, any punitive actions against Amb. Evans for speaking out about the Armenian Genocide. Secretary Rice has not yet responded to these questions.

Amb. Evans has taken a principled stand for which he is sacrificing his diplomatic career. Even if it is too late to reverse the State Dept.’s decision, Armenians in general and Armenian-Americans in particular need to express their objection to the State Department’s punitive action against a distinguished diplomat for telling the truth about the Armenian Genocide.

Unless Armenians take a strong stand, they would be sending the wrong signal to the U.S. government that the Armenian Genocide is not an important issue for them! If they remain quiet on this occasion, never again would another U.S. diplomat dare to speak up on the Armenian Genocide, knowing full well that he would jeopardize his career and no one would care.

Write to your congressional representative and send a complaint to the Secretary of State at: www.state.gov. Click on "contact us" and then click on "send a message to the Secretary of State."

Make your voices heard loud and clear!

Source: Azg.am

http://www.hra.am/img/Gulyan1.gif

You must spread before giving to Silver again.

Re: Ambassador Evans to be Recalled for Acknowledging the Genocide
Old 09.03.2006, 19:42   #2
Banned

Default Re: Ambassador Evans to be Recalled for Acknowledging the Genocide

Well, to tell the truth, I have no expectations from the US - a country which was built on the dead bodies of more than 200,000,000 indians.

Old 09.03.2006, 20:03   #3

ban chhaskaca.. gnum e te chi gnum ?

Old 11.03.2006, 12:07   #4
Easy rider

Thumbs up Re: Ambassador Evans to be Recalled for Acknowledging the Genocide

John Evans: “I Received No Document on My Recall from Armenia”

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The decision on recall of an Ambassador is taken by the President of the United States only, U.S. Ambassador to Armenia John Evans stated at a news conference in Yerevan. “I won’t be the Ambassador to Armenia eternally, but I have not received any document on my recall from the U.S. President yet,” Mr. Evans said when commenting on The California Courier report. Matthew Bryza, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs, who also was present at the briefing emphasized that the U.S. diplomatic representation in Yerevan is one of the best in the world. “Ambassador Evans has formed a wonderful team and enjoys the respect of the Department of State,” Mr. Bryza said.

To note, The California Courier wrote that the U.S. Department of State took the decision to recall John Evans from Armenia. Citing Armenian sources the newspaper said Mr. Evans has already informed the RA authorities of his departure. “After months of uncertainty, it now appears that the rumors about his possible dismissal have finally become reality. The State Department recently finalized the decision to recall him. According to reliable Armenian governmental sources, Amb. Evans informed high-ranking Armenian officials last week about his departure in the coming months, pending the Senate approval of his likely successor, Richard E. Hoagland, who is currently the U.S. Ambassador to Tajikistan. Knowledgeable U.S. sources in Washington have confirmed to this writer that Amb. Evans was being recalled because of his candid remarks on the Armenian Genocide. Last year, during a public gathering at the University of California at Berkeley, Amb. Evans courageously said: "I will today call it the Armenian Genocide…. I informed myself in depth about it. I think we, the US government, owe you, our fellow citizens, a more frank and honest way of discussing this problem. Today, as someone who has studied it … there’s no doubt in my mind [as to] what happened…. I think it is unbecoming of us, as Americans, to play word games here. I believe in calling things by their name." Referring to the Armenian Genocide as "the first genocide of the 20th century," he said: "I pledge to you, we are going to do a better job at addressing this issue." Amb. Evans also disclosed that he had consulted with a legal advisor at the State Department who had confirmed that the events of 1915 were "genocide by definition." Within days of making these statements and after complaints from Turkish and Azeri officials to the State Department, Amb. Evans was ordered by his superiors to issue "a clarification" in which he said that "misunderstandings" might have arisen as a result of his earlier comments. He said that he had used the term "genocide" in his “personal capacity,” the article says.

Source: PanARMENIAN.Net

Old 13.03.2006, 14:09   #5
Easy rider

REP. PALLONE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED OVER REPORTS OF AMB. EVANS

Co-Chairman of Congressional Armenian Caucus Demands Explanation from the Secretary of State
Congressman Frank Pallone (D-NJ), Co-Chairman of the Armenian Issues Caucus, yesterday expressed his extreme disappointment to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice over reports that the U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Marshall Evans, is being forced from office based upon truthful and forthright statements last year about the Armenian Genocide.
In a March 10th letter, Rep. Pallone shared with the Secretary that he is "outraged that the State Department is recalling Ambassador Evans as retaliation for statements he made in recognition of the Armenian Genocide." He added that, "it is simply wrong for the State Department to punish Ambassador Evans for statements he made that are factually correct. Accordingly, I am asking you for an explanation as to why Ambassador Evans was removed from his post. This is the wrong message to send to the world. I look forward to a timely response from your office."
Speaking last year to an Armenian American gathering at the University of California at Berkeley, Amb. Evans said, "I will today call it the Armenian Genocide. I informed myself in depth about it. I think we, the U.S. government, owe you, our fellow citizens, a more frank and honest way of discussing this problem. Today, as someone who has studied it. there's no doubt in my mind [as to] what happened . . . I think it is unbecoming of us, as Americans, to play word games here. I believe in calling things by their name." Referring to the Armenian Genocide as "the first genocide of the 20th century," he said: "I pledge to you, we are going to do a better job at addressing this issue." Amb. Evans also disclosed that he had consulted with a legal advisor at the State Department who had confirmed that the events of 1915 were "genocide by definition."
Within days after his remarks and the conclusion of a speaking tour of Armenian American communities, Ambassador Evans was apparently forced to issue a statement clarifying that his references to the Armenian Genocide were his personal views and did not represent a change in U.S. policy. He subsequently issued a correction to this statement, replacing a reference to the Genocide with the word "tragedy."
Later last year, the American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), in recognition of his honesty and commitment to principle, decided to honor Ambassador Evans with the "Christian A. Herter Award," recognizing creative thinking and intellectual courage within the Foreign Service. Sadly, as Washington Post staff writer Glenn Kessler revealed on June 9th, AFSA withdrew its award following pressure from "very serious people from the State Department."
ANCA Chairman Ken Hachikian, in a letter sent to Secretary Rice earlier this week, wrote that, "the prospect that a U.S. envoy's posting - and possibly his career - has been cut short due to his honest and accurate description of a genocide is profoundly offensive to American values and U.S. standing abroad - particularly in light of President Bush's call for moral clarity in the conduct of our international affairs."
The ANCA letter also urged Secretary Rice to respond in a timely manner to the series of written questions on this matter submitted on February 16th by Congressman Adam Schiff during her testimony before the House International Relations Committee. Among these questions was a specific request that the Secretary assure the Committee that the Department of State has not taken - and will not take - any punitive action against Ambassador Evans for speaking out about the Armenian Genocide.

Source: Defacto.am

Реклама:
реклама